You won’t find the words “healthy” and “burger” in the same sentence too often. Go to most restaurants, and the burger is probably pushing 1,000 calories or more. Here’s what I’m talking about:
- The Western Bacon Six Dollar Burger at Carl’s Jr.: 1030 calories, 55 grams of fat, 2440 milligrams of sodium
- The Smokehouse Burger at Ruby Tuesday: 1155 calories, 71 grams of fat, 1662 milligrams of sodium
- The New York Cheddar & Bacon Burger at TGI Friday’s: 1410 calories, 88 grams of fat, 3880 milligrams of sodium
- The Quesadilla Burger at Applebees: 1400 calories, 105 grams of fat, and 3260 milligrams of sodium
You get the picture, right? But ordering a turkey burger when you go out to eat can be just as bad. The Turkey Burger at TGI Friday’s, for example, has 890 calories, 45 grams of fat, and 2940 milligrams of sodium–over a full day’s worth. And that’s before you add sides and a drink! So why not cook your own healthy turkey burger instead?
The healthy turkey burger below is simple to prepare, has all-natural ingredients, and tastes amazing. And let’s not forget the nutrition facts. It’ll only set you back 175 calories, which means you can save yourself over 1000 calories with this recipe instead of going out to eat. That can add up to serious weight loss.
This is a bunless burger, and I like to wrap mine with lettuce. If you want to add a bun, try a whole wheat one. Just know the bun will add another 160-200 calories to the recipe. The jalapeno does add a little spiciness, so remove the seeds if you don’t like a lot of heat. Here’s the recipe. Enjoy!
1. Pre-heat a pan or grill over medium heat.
2. Mince the shallot and jalapeno and combine with ground turkey, salt, and pepper. Form into two patties.
3. Cook burgers for 6-7 minutes then flip over and cook another 6-7 minutes.
4. Let sit for 5 minutes to allow the juices to distribute (this step is VERY important … don’t cut into the burger right away. Make sure you let it rest and you’ll get a tastier, juicier final product).
Ingredients (makes 2 burgers):
- 8 oz. ground turkey
- 1 small shallot
- 1 T minced jalapeno (seeds removed)
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Cooking spray
175 calories, 8 grams of fat, 3 grams of carbs, 25 grams of protein, 577 milligrams of sodium
Have you ever heard of this recipe? What healthy recipes do you have of your own? Share your thoughts with us!